Saturday, June 18, 2011

Who Packs What

The age old conversation: how much of your shit am I willing to carry? And is this just my shit or, technically, doesn't it belong to both of us?

I have backpacked around Europe in my early 20's. Never again do I want to spend a month wearing two changes of clothes, one of which can work as a tablecloth or towel. Andre, on the other hand, is the master of packing the bare necessities. He would be happy on an island with a surfboard and a shirt-cum-towel. He would thrive naked with unbrushed teeth. I want shampoo, conditioner, gel, tampons and cute sandals. Toothpaste and mascara is not an option.

If I pack hygiene and and pharmaceutical items into his bag, does that mean he is now carrying my stuff? I don't care how generous and kind he is about it, he is carrying OUR stuff. Yes, yes, I understand that if he was alone he would pack Tom's Mint Soap, a roll of duct tape, a pair of board shorts and one clean, non-beer-advertising shirt. I will even admit that I admire the ability to travel so unencumbered.  But I think I have firmly established how anal and anxious I am about traveling. That alone is reason enough to pack pepto bismal and valium.

EVA airlines allows us each two check-in bags, but I have packed Auggie and I into one rolling duffle, right at 49 lbs. In order for this to work, there was spillover into Andre's check-in bag. He's been telling me how little he needed, leaving me slightly miffed when he was upset at how much was in his bag. Okay, it was over half full, but still . . . the stuff will be used by both of us, right? The ensuing "discussion" was worth it, since neither of us wants to increase our check-in bags. Who in the hell wants to wander around a huge foreign city with multiple suitcases, backpacks and a five-year-old?

Moving on, I must tell you how proud I am of my carry-on tote bag. It is amazing. It is an Urban Junket laptop tote bag that converts into a backpack, leaving my hands free to grab Auggie as he tries to rush onto a subway as the doors are closing. Then the bag converts back into a nice purse-looking item so I don't look a hobo during nights out on the village. People, people . . . I have already warned you, I refuse to look like a backpacker on this trip. I will have a clean shirt and I will not wear tennis shoes with a sundress. Vain? Yes. Hard to spend time with as I prepare for a trip? Yes. Willing to mock myself? Sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. Note to self: don't post blog entries while drinking a beer. You, Holly, will sound bitchy. Worse, you will use "is" instead of "are. Arg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, I always over pack and take things I don't need or use. Remember to keep those carry on pharmaceuticals and cosmetics below the legal volume limit.
    Travel safely and wisely my friend -

    ReplyDelete