Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm baaa...aack

I'm baaa...aack.

 crackling static


Seriously. I'm back. I'm back from Indonesia. I'm back from my identity crisis. I'm back from a long ride on the couch . . . well, that part's more wish than reality. Now I sit in a chair.

Two weeks ago, on Friday the 13th, I resigned from my teaching job and I finished my first novel. That's right. In the same day. I designed it that way. Not the Friday the 13th part, that kinda' freaked me out. But the resignation and the completion of the novel . . .

One year ago, my school district told me they would hold my teaching job until this spring, at which time a doctor would have to release me.  Mid-April, my doctor did not release me. The Epstein Barr Virus is alive and strong. The district, acting at the behest of the students, accepted my resignation. I don't begrudge my administration at all, especially since they saved my position for two years, hoping I'd be able to come back to the classroom. I hoped for that, too, but I'm still sick and the kids need to have a stable, full-time teacher.

Knowing my illness and my career were intertwined on a timetable, last spring I began to prepare myself for either outcome. My first year out on sick-leave I had spent in a coma of despair, sick in body and heart, no part of myself available for comment. I couldn't do that for a second year, and I certainly didn't want to do it forever. So I set a goal for this past year, to complete a novel before the medical decision had to be made.

Writing a fictional book helped me get up in the morning, helped me fight the brain "fog" associated with my disease, helped me build a new identity, helped me gain emotional equanimity in face of losing my beloved career. I'm not gonna' lie, writing wasn't always easy, not when I have so little energy most days. Some days I wrote one sentence, sometimes a paragraph, thrilled if I was kicking out two or more pages. But, goddammit, I did it. I finished a novel.

Smart Mouth. Currently, it stands at 252 pages but it will probably round out at 280 by the time I make  the final edits.

Anyway, I'm back to bloglandia and I'm not going away. I have a lot to say, a lot of stories to tell. Like the time I met this agent . . .



6 comments:

  1. It is with a sad heart that I now know you will not be coming back. I can't wait to read your book WHEN it is published. You inspire me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clap, clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a legend in your own right at NKN and like your virus, living forever in the hearts of all who have encountered your spirit! You are a force of nature!! Give voice to your thoughts! Speak up as a strong and loud commentator! And continue to share our lives and reside in our hearts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stickin' it to the world one page at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I am impressed with your literary weavings and musings on life. May you affect the publishing world as deeply as you have the education world. I am a better teacher, writer, and woman for have shared my world with you. I'll read that book when it is published and you'd better not make me wait in a super long signing line! I gots the inside hookups yo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I'll have to figure out how to'follow' a blog now... -Garrick

    ReplyDelete